How can we improve our products?

Bootloop after latest update of Glary Utilities: BootDefragDriver.Sys ..

Hi!

After updating to version 4.6.0.90 of 'Glary Utilities' yesterday, and booting this morning, I now have a infinite bootloop on a Windows 7 machine.

When running F8 & Safe Mode it shows the system hangs on BootDefragDriver.Sys, which seems to belong to GlarySoft's 'Glary Utilities'.

Any chance you can tell me how to solve this?

Returning to a previous configuration form the boot menu won't help.

Thanks in advance for your response!

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anal PoetNL shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Stop forcing us to run Filepuma

• Chad Mello commented  · 

This is the WORSE response to a problem I've ever seen from a so-called professional company. Faith Lee should be fired.

• Chad Mello commented  · 

I'll never use the product again. As soon as I figure out how to get my machine back up, it's coming off, and I'll tell everyone I know to never use the product.

• Terrapin Flyer commented  · 

The lack of customer support by Glarysoft on this SYSTEM CRIPPLING bugged feature in a version of software that customers have PAID for is absolutely appalling. You should be ashamed of yourselves for not testing the "Boot Time Defrag" on all popular operating systems (such as Windows 7 and 8) and not removing or disabling this feature until it has been proven to work with the most popular OS's in the world without COMPLETELY crippling your paying customers' systems. I'm pretty darn tech savvy and have experience with rebuilding and repairing MBR, but this is the most trouble I have ever had. I advise everyone to stick to IObit Advanced System Care for a RELIABLE all in one cleaning application. I had heard such great reviews, but this is the last time I will trust Glarysoft with the maintenance of my computer.

• Anonymous commented  · 

mucho animal este head of customer support

• GDL commented  · 

I can report I have had exactly the same issue it gets hung at bootdefrag when starting in safe mode forcing you to restart possibly exasperating the issue that you had in first place

• Miriam commented  · 

Had the very same problem with the latest version of Glary utilities. Free, not pro. My netbook went on a start-die loop that did not seem to be recoverable. At some point though i was able to log into windows, remove glary altogether and since then then it runs normal again. If there is any way to get into your machine in safe mode, or even normal mode and you can remove the program, you might be able to safe it.

• omsarmaru commented  · 

The return policy of GlarySoft is not clear. Here is what I get.
        "
        What is the refund policy?

We provide functional trial versions of all our software so our customers can fully evaluate and try the software before making a purchase.

In addition we also offer a 90-day money back guarantee."

How could I cancel my license as I no longer to subscribe for it?.

• Fiz commented  · 

Hello...I have a clean, well-running XP Home machine that runs well. I've been using and updating Glary Utilities for a number of years, so I know what I'm doing and nothing has changed on my system to cause the following:

I recently updated to the latest version, which is currently on your website. I installed it, but it will not/does not run. There is no sign of life at all. I even re-downloaded the setup program and re-installed it, but the same thing happens ---- absolutely nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Wrecked Computer commented  · 

Please update to the latest version? Can I please get a clear explanation on how to do that since my computer no longer boots up? I am telling everyone I know not to use any Glary products.

• Patrick Donelly commented  · 

I've had this issue come up on all my PCs. I needed to re-format all of them. I edited the boot menu, nothing there. I edited startup items, nothing there. I removed the driver, didn't work. My PC was taking over an hour to boot. This product used to be awesome, now I'll never recommend it to anyone else, especially the pro version.

• Dimitri commented  · 

As many customers continue to experience for the first time that problem, probably the best solution at this point is to remove the problem at the root: remove the option about Master File Table defragment that is
        "defragment MFT" as someone said it is the guilty of the blocks at the windows start up. Or fix that process in a way that does not cause more problems.

In fact, the problem on my opinion is that usually the customer thinks that is better enable all the options available to get more advantages but the first time you don't know about the problem it very often (or even always) can cause. It is taken for granted that each option has already been tested as safe.

On my part, after to have experienced that bad problem last spring (several versions ago), since that time I keep disabled both option "defragment MFT" and "defragment page, hibernation file" ... (by the way, you find them only in the Boot Time defrag tab into Disk Defrag Tool : you can't find them by launching Boot Time Defrag tool, that is just its configuration menu)

As said in the past, i don't know if i could take advantages by enabling the "defragment page ...." option but i prefer don't do that test unless someone assure me that option is safe and doesn't cause problem at startup.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Faith Lee.....I don't think that is a great resolution to the problem due to the difficulty in updating Glary without a working PC.
        Is there a realistic way to fix this issue with the boot defrag locking the machine. I have just run into my first system that will not start due to the file and am hoping I don't have to lose everything on the machine.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Following Oct 1, 2014 Windows 7 Update computer failed to boot. Regular boot hung after windows splash screen, safe mode similar, safe mode/cmd prompt hung on bootdefragdriver.sys, latest known good configuration didn't work either. Several attempts to no avail. Just a couple clicks away from pure panic mode and I decided to wait through the darkness following the splash screen with normal boot. Literally 24 minutes and some odd seconds before computer booted. So not cool! Uninstalling Glary now. No way do i want to survive through that again.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I installed glary on over 10 PCs in use by a govt customer. In the works to buy pro, but now this issue has happened and I no longer have them as a customer and you no longer have a govt account prospect.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This issue has not been solved yet! Im in now in the exact same situation as described here many months ago, which makes it impossible to boot at all. F8 has no effect. What can I do to solve this with one computer and a phone?

• Trilln451 commented  · 

Advice to the Admin: You should not mark this issue completed until you've worked up an explanation, along with a solution for people who CAN'T BOOT TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am, with 2 computers & years of "Don't Panic" experience.

That said, I do appreciate your product. After all, it's free. Just try not to scare people.

• Trilln451 commented  · 

Hello Frustrated People - Just sharing my experience. After installing the latest version, I restarted & saw the boot defrag for the first time - "Oh, that's nice." Made me a bit nervous to see the typo "exitting". And then....nothing.

Wait...wait...nothing. Went to the hard reboot a couple times, getting more alarmed each time. Tried "safe boot with networking", but that seemed to hang too. Tried "last known good config" & waited for that now-hated defrag message - hit EXIT to stop it before it did anything - "exitting" - still didn't go to boot. Finally tried "Safe Mode" & saw the drivers scroll by till "bootdefrag.sys" (close enough - you've all seen it). I was distracted by one of my pets, & when I came back to the computer I saw it had FINALLY gone to the login screen. Logged in, started Glary, opened Advanced Tools, went to the boot defrag, & unchecked the option for master boot defrag. Rebooted - back to normal.

SO! I don't know if I was supposed to wait 10 minutes for my computer to get to the login screen in the first place, but I was DID see a login screen in Safe Mode EVENTUALLY.

This is a hard lesson to make sure I understand what a utility is going to do before I install it, because I'd never even HEARD of a Boot Defrag before this.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'm a Tad disappointed with glary for taking the liberty of messing with my mbr without my consent. Now my machines fragged. Excuse me glary. U just lost major points. That's a major faux pas. Never again. Bye

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base